February 28, 2010

Some reading material

I started reading "The Minds of Boys: Saving Our Sons from Falling Behind in School and Life" yesterday (I'll probably post a little 'thoughts I had' thing when I'm done with it) and today came upon the page titled "Do Heroes Read and Write", which pretty much says that the protagonists on TV shows, in movies, comics, and books, are rarely seen/read reading or writing.

When I read that, I went 'Yep, that sounds about right.' and took a double-take. Really? So I tried to think of superheroes that you see reading or writing.

There are some you think would do it more. Superman has his job at the Daily Planet as a reporter. He should be shown writing those reports more. Peter Parker has his job at the Daily Bugle, though its as a photographer. I think Bruce Wayne/Batman may write letters occasionally. Dr. Doom should, since he runs his own country and all.

Then there's everyone else. Hank Pym, scientist, doesn't. Reed Richards, scientist, doesn't. Dr. Strange does. Wonder Woman doesn't. I don't think Barbara Gordon does. The Teen Titans don't usually. Neither do the Runaways. The Legion doesn't really, but they're in the future and might not have books or written letters anymore. Thor doesn't. Bruce Banner, scientist and the Hulk, doesn't. Captain America doesn't. None of the X-Men do. I don't believe Flash or Green Arrow or Green Lantern or any of the Justice League do.

What's up with that?

No comments:

Post a Comment